• Welcome to the Shining Force Mods Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Shining Force series, modding and, of course, video gaming.

Register Log in

Heyy, had a question about sprites.

Tokitaro

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
How do I edit the overworld and battle sprites in the game? I've customized some of my own and would like to put them into the game, but can't figure out how to do so, and I've looked everywhere.

RedArcher

Shining Buddy
Pixel Artist
Contributor
Reaction score
You can use the editor called The Caravan (can be downloaded here) or SF2DISASM toolkit by Wiz. But the latter is way harder to work with, so I'd recommend to use the Caravan. It can replace the battle and map sprites with ease, but you need to know something before doing so.

You need to rearrange the palette of your image so the very first color matches the color of the background, it will be treated like a transparency and will not be visible ingame, then you put white and black next. All other colors can be in any ordrer.

As for the map sprites, the main thing you need to know is that you absolutely need to use ALL colors of the map sprites palette in that same order they're arranged in the Caravan. This way your map sprite will use the CORRECT palette order thus not breaking your image and making it a complete pixel mess, so you'll need to recolor it again in the editor itself. So how you do that? It's simple. Use any program like GIMP, and while drawing, use just ONE pixel of EACH color to make the palette remember the colors. Then convert the image in an indexed format using 16 colors (all colors will be still present) and rearrange the palette identically to the Caravan order.

Oh, and don't forget to convert your image to GIF before saving!

Hope this will help you ;)

Last edited: